AKI goes Amsterdam
26/09/2014 – 26/10/2014
Participating artist(s) Jan Bilitewski, Rochelle Dy, Dewi Hoppe, Caroline Krajenbrink, Matthias König, Hannes Lichte, Hannes Nienhüser, Sam Samiee, Sjoerd Tegelaers, Eli Zegers, Maarten van Aken, Bas van der Linde, Geert van der Schaaf
AKI matters. Artist-run spaces matter. W139 is in the Red light district, right next to the Condomerie. AKI is in Enschede. Enschede is in the east of the Netherlands, not very well known in the west. Well known W139 started to give shape to the ambition of exploring the Unknown.
I feel Aki is influential in the Dutch art scene. True Motherhood cannot have a representation. This same destiny is shared by all the institutions that prioritize the supporting of artists, rather than commercializing academic experience or art spaces. The day I heard of W139’s ambition, I thought, it would be a pity if artists work with the unknown and no one mentions Freud. Bridging unknowability of locations, institutions, artists, I chose offspring of AKI to create what I like to show, together. We invite you into our world, a world where there is no clear end-station, where the journey may lead to unexpected places, a search into destination unknown.
The moment the adolescent paints a portrait or sculpts a human torso, or writes on life, his mindset on the world is not the same anymore, that visual, literary or any form of communication with the other and within oneself, gives birth to theoretical thinking. Months ago, I mentioned my aim to sponsor public imagination. I believe that an education of visual practice, which takes ‘the Unknown’ into account, provides a launchpad towards new discoveries in visual humanism.
- Friday September the 26th: Opening night at 19:00 with BBAL REALTEENSLUTS, Dj Michel and Fitzgerald.
- Thursday the 2nd of October: there will be no evening programme. W139 is closed as of 16:00.
- Thursday the 9th, 16th and 23rd of October: evening programme, between 18:00 and 22:00.
- Our 1001 nights: On Thursday evening, the 9th of October, we the artists of Aki goes Amsterdam invite you to a night of stories and food. We will be reading from our publication and telling our stories. This can become a 1001 nights only if you also share your stories, but, come unprepared. We will all tell a site specific tale. Dinner at 18:30, Story telling at 19:30.
- AKI acoustic living-room session: on thursday the 16th of October; A late night living room jam session at the W139. Be part of a night of sharing, mingling and collaborating with the artists of AKI goes Amsterdam. We would like to invite anybody from musicians, writers, poets to spontaneous dancers to join us between 18:00 and 22:00. Drinks and finger food will be available. ps: bring your own instruments/material.
- Artists Calendar dinner hosted by AKI artists: Thursday the 23rd of October. After the launch of I Am Not Doing Anything Until I Feel The Need Calendar which is a conceptual and collaborative artwork made by artist Joanneke Meester and 365 artists, I would love to Invite you, dear artists, guests, visitors and anyone interested, to a dinner and music program amongst out exhibition held at W139. Come and explore the mingling of the dinner event Artist’s Calendar at W139. We want you to enjoy your time and celebrate altogether the last even of AKI goes Amsterdam. From 20:00 music will begin, after the lovely dinner that will be served at 18:30.
Tubelight- Orient express – AKI goes Amsterdam